by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP
- Phytotherapy for adrenal health — how plant medicine works with us
- Medicinal herbs for adrenal imbalance — our suggestions
- Real support, not just a one-size-fits-all solution
Low energy is something I’ve noticed many women succumb to. They wonder, “It’s just part of getting older, right?” Well, it’s not. It’s not natural to feel fatigued purely as a function of your age. And as long as there are no major health issues causing your fatigue, we can absolutely get you back to feeling as energetic and vibrant as you did in your younger years. Often it’s a matter of learning how to better support your adrenal glands, two plum-sized but powerful glands that many women have never even heard of.
Chief among several key roles they play, your adrenal glands’ primary responsibility is to help you react — and survive — in the face of stress. Directly in-sync with your body and mind, they respond to every kind of stress: physical, emotional, perceived, psychological, environmental, infectious, or any combination of these. Unfortunately, conventional medicine has very little to offer women with adrenal imbalance unless they’re diagnosed with a full-blown adrenal disease, such as rare disorders like Cushing’s syndrome or Addison’s disease.
Are your adrenals imbalanced?
If the answer to more than one of these questions is yes, you may consider talking to a functional medicine practitioner about your adrenal glands.
- Are you always on the run?
- Do you feel like you “can never do enough”?
- Does everything seem like it’s a whole lot harder for you than it should be?
- Do you find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning?
- Do you use caffeine or sugar to bolster your flagging energy in the afternoon?
- Do you feel weary and irritable much of the time?
- Do you often crave salty foods or binge on sugar?
- Do you fall asleep while reading or while watching movies?
- Do you struggle to “come down” at night so you can get to sleep?
But whether you feel worn and weary, tired and wired, or jacked-up 24/7, you may have an overactive or underactive stress response and there’s a pathway back to balance for you, I promise! If it’s time to take an honest look at your adrenal health, you’ve come to the right place. There are many natural treatment options at your fingertips, options that can help restore your energy and balance your adrenal output so you can feel like yourself again.
Herbs work with us, not against us
What’s the first thing you reach for when you need energy? For some it’s a cup of coffee or a soda. For others, it’s a treat that involves sugar or white flour. As much as you may savor your three o’clock latte or chocolate chip cookie, the caffeine and sugar buzz they cause your adrenals to pump out more stress hormones, eventually leaving your body more drained than it would have been without your “pick-me-up.”
There’s a much healthier way to bring your energy back — one that supports your adrenals rather than depleting them. Phytotherapy is the time-honored practice of using plants, either in whole-food form or in standardized extracts and supplements, for the purpose of healing. People around the world have practiced botanical medicine and followed a plant-based diet for thousands of years. But now we have evidence-based research to back up phytotherapy’s treatment benefits.